Academic Dean and Professor
Ph.D. in Physics, Imperial College, University of London, U.K., 1985
D.I.C. Diploma in Mathematical Physics, Imperial College, University of London, U.K., August 1985
M.S. in Physics, University of California, Los Angeles, June 1982.
B.A. in Physics and Theoretical Physics, (M.A., March 1985), Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University, U.K., June 1981
Soft random matter, superconductivity, superfluidity, nanoscience, ultracold gases, quantum information, theoretical physics.
Honors and Awards:
Elected Fellow of the Institute of Physics (U.K., 2008)
Elected Fellow of the American Physical Society (2001)
National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award (1991-96)
- Tzu-Chieh Wei, David Pekker, Andrey Rogachev, Alexey Bezryadin, Paul M. Goldbart. Critical current enhancement in superconducting nanowires via the polarization of local magnetic moments. Manuscript in preparation; to be submitted to Physical Review B (2010).
- Scott Scharfenberg, D. Zeb Rocklin, Cesar Chialvo, Richard Weaver, Paul M. Goldbart, Nadya Mason. Probing the mechanical properties of graphene using a grooved elastic substrate. Manuscript in preparation; to be submitted to Nature Materials (2010).
- Sarang Gopalakrishnan, Benjamin L. Lev, Paul M. Goldbart. Atom-light crystallization of BECs in multimode cavities: Nonequilibrium classical and quantum phase transitions, emergent lattices, supersolidity and frustration. Manuscript in preparation; to be submitted to Physical Review A (2010).
- David G. Ferguson, Paul M. Goldbart. Non-quantized flux penetration through a bending domain wall in an unconventional superconductor. Manuscript in preparation; to be submitted to Physical Review B (2010).
- J. Jang, D.G. Ferguson, V. Vakaryuk, R. Budakian, S.B. Chung, P.M. Goldbart, Y. Maeno. Evidence for half-quantum vortices by observing half-height magnetization steps in Sr2RuO4. To be submitted to Science (2010).
- Travis Dirks, Taylor L. Hughes, Siddhartha Lal, Bruno Uchoa, Yung-Fu Chen, Cesar Chialvo, Paul M. Goldbart, Nadya Mason. Andreev bound state spectroscopy in a graphene quantum dot. Submitted to Nature Physics (2010); arXiv:1005.2749 [16 pages].
- Priyanka Mohan, Paul M. Goldbart, Rajesh Narayanan, John Toner, Thomas Vojta. An anomalously elastic, intermediate phase in randomly layered super.uids, superconductors, and planar magnets. Submitted to Physical Review Letters (2010); arXiv:1003.5201 [5 pages].
- James C. T. Lee, Shi Yuan, Siddhartha Lal, Young Il Joe, Yu Gan, Serban Smadici, Ken Finkelstein, Yejun Feng, Andrivo Rusydi, Paul M. Goldbart, S. Lance Cooper, Peter Abbamonte. Two-step stabilization of orbital order and the dynamical frustration of spin in the model charge-transfer insulator KCuF3. Submitted to Nature Physics (2009); arXiv:0911.0619 [13 pages].
- Siddhartha Lal, Sarang Gopalakrishnan, Paul M. Goldbart. Approaching multichannel Kondo physics using correlated bosons: Quantum phases and how to realize them. Physical Review B [7 pages] (2010, in press).
- Alexey Bezryadin, Paul M. Goldbart. Superconducting nanowires fabricated using DNA and nanotubes as molecular templates. Advanced Materials 22, 1111-1121 (2010).
- Tzu-Chieh Wei, Paul M. Goldbart. Critical velocity of a clean one-dimensional superconductor. Physical Review B 80, 134507 (2009) [10 pages].
- Paul M. Goldbart. Heterogeneous solids and the micro/macro connection: Structure and elasticity in architecturally complex media as emergent collective phenomena. Conference paper prepared in connection with a keynote address at the International Congress on Thermal Stresses (Urbana, Illinois, June 2009). Journal of Thermal Stresses 33, 1-8 (2010).
- Sarang Gopalakrishnan, Benjamin L. Lev, Paul M. Goldbart. Emergent crystallinity and frustration with Bose-Einstein condensates in multimode cavities. Nature Physics 5, 845-850 (2009); see also Helmut Ritsch, Crystals of atoms and light, in Nature Physics News and Views.
- David Pekker, Nayana Shah, Mitrabhanu Sahu, Alexey Bezryadin, Paul M. Goldbart. Stochastic dynamics of phase-slip trains and superconductive-resistive switching in current-biased nanowires. Physical Review B 80, 214525 (2009) [17 pages]; reprinted in Virtual Journal of Applications of Superconductivity (January 1, 2010).
- Xiaoming Mao, Paul M. Goldbart, Xiangjun Xin, Annette Zippelius. Soft random solids and their heterogeneous elasticity. Physical Review E 80, 031140 (2009) [39 pages].
- Michael Stone, Paul M. Goldbart. Mathematical Methods for Physics – A Guided Tour for Graduate Students. Cambridge University Press (2009) [806 pages].
- Mitrabhanu Sahu, Myung-Ho Bae, Andrey Rogachev, David Pekker, Nayana Shah, Tzu-Chieh Wei, Paul M. Goldbart, Alexey Bezryadin. Individual topological tunnelling events of a quantum field probed via their macroscopic consequences. Nature Physics 5, 503-508 (2009).
- Paul M. Goldbart and Florin Bora. Quantized vortices and super.ow in arbitrary dimensions: Structure, energetics and dynamics. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 422 (2009), 185001 [30 pages].
- Paul M. Goldbart. David Sherrington as a mentor of young scientists. Talk delivered at Viewing the World Through Spin Glasses, a conference in honour of David Sherrington (Oxford, August 31-September 1, 2007). Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical (special issue) 41 (2008) 1-3, Ton Coolen, Hidetoshi Nishimori, Nicolas Sourlas, Michael Wong (guest editors).
- Tzu-Chieh Wei, Paul M. Goldbart. Emergence of h/e-period oscillations in the critical temperature of small superconducting rings threaded by magnetic .ux. Physical Review B 77, 224512 (2008) [16 pages].
- Nayana Shah, David Pekker, Paul M. Goldbart. Inherent stochasticity of superconductive-resistive switching in nanowires. Physical Review Letters 101, 207001 (2008) [4 pages]; reprinted in Virtual Journal of Applications of Superconductivity (November 15, 2008), and in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and Technology (November 24, 2008).
- Xiangjun Xing, Stephan Pfahl, Swagatam Mukhopadhyay, Paul M. Goldbart, Annette Zippelius. Nematic elastomers: From a microscopic model to macroscopic elasticity theory. Physical Review E 77, 051802 (2008) [10 pages].
Memberships and Committees:
Member, American Physical Society, 1982-present
Member, Institute of Physics, 1982-present