Donald C. O'Shea
Ph.D. in Physics, Johns Hopkins University, 1968
M.S. in Physics, Ohio State University, 1963
B.S. in Physics, University of Akron, 1960
design, analysis, and construction of ultrafast devices
Professor O'Shea's research involves the design, analysis, and construction of ultrafast devices. This involves both FROG (Frequency- Resolved Optical Gating) devices and ultrafast pulse compressors and shapers. A special initiative is the application of high precision optical design programs to the evaluation of ultrafast devices, particularly those used with broadband ultrafast pulses. This work is done in collaboration with researchers in the Ultrafast Group in the School of Physics. Earlier research has been in the fields of laser Raman and Brillouin scattering and in diffractive optics.
Honors and Awards:
Esther Hoffman Beller Award for "excellence in the field of optics" from the Optical Society of America, 1996
Fellow, SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering
Fellow, Optical Society of America
- D. C. O'Shea, Elements of Modern Optical Design, John Wiley and Sons (1985).
- D. C. O'Shea, editor, "Selected Papers on Optomechanical Design," SPIE Milestone Series, Proc. SPIE.' 770 (1988).
- "Aberration Curves in Lens Design," with Michael Harrigan in the Optical Society of America Handbook, edited by M. Bass, Prentice-Hall, Chap. 33, pp. 33.1-33.6, (1995).
- "Fidelity of PostScript Generated masks for Diffractive Optics Fabrication," with Thomas J. Suleski, Applied Optics 34, 627-635 (1995)."Zero order intensity reduction in binary Dammann gratings," Applied Optics 34, 6533-6537 (1995).
- "Grayscale masks for diffractive optics fabrication: I Commercial slide imagers," with Thomas J. Suleski, Applied Optics 34, 7507-7517 (1995).
- "Grayscale masks for diffractive optics fabrication: II Spatially filtered halftone screens," with Willie S. Rockward, Applied Optics 34, 7518-7526 (1995).
- "Generation of mask patterns for diffractive optical elements using Mathematica", Computers in Physics 10, 391-399 (1996).
- "Light Modulation from Crossed Phase Gratings," with Willie S. Rockward, Opt. Letts., 23, 491-493 (1998).
- "Crossed phase gratings with diffractive optical elements," with Willie S. Rockward, Applied Optics 37, 5075-5086 (1998).
- "Ultrashort-laser-pulse measurement using swept beams" with Mark Kimmel, Patrick O'Shea, and Rick Trebino, Opt. Letts., 26, 1442-1444 (2001).
- OSA Optics Discovery Kit (Edmund Scientific Catalog)
- "Lens Design," Volume 2 in Selected SPIE Papers on CD-ROM. SPIE, Bellingham, WA (1999).
- Lamp system for operating theatres and the like," U.S. Patent No. 4,994,945, issued February 19, 1991 with James L.Oliver and James L. Sketo, assigned to Kirschner Medical Corporation, Timonium, MD.
- "Video display on spectacle-like frame, " U.S. Patent No. 5,151,722, issued September 29, 1992, with Robert W. Massof and Thomas W. Raasch, assigned to The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- "Lighting Fixture, " U.S. Patent No. 5,640,792, issued August 24, 1997, with Stephen T.Smith, assigned to National Service Industries, Inc., Atlanta, GA.
Memberships and Committees:
Secretary, SPIE, 1997
Chair, Symposia Committee, SPIE, 1998
Vice President/President Elect, SPIE, 1999
Editor, Optical Engineering, 1998-2000
President, SPIE, 2000