I am a Post-doctoral fellow in the Complex Rheology and Biomechanics lab in the School of Physics at Georgia Tech. I am interested in the challenges of animal locomotion in complex environments: from the climbing of ants in tunnels to the high performance locomotion of lizards across sandy dunes. My current research lies at the interface of soft matter physics and biomechanics and takes inspiration from the biological challenges of organismal locomotion.
School of Physics
837 State St.
Atlanta, GA 30332
- Our new paper Climbing, falling and jamming during ant locomotion in confined environments is out on the Cover of PNAS More information and pictures can be found here and a selection of news pieces are below.
- Georgia Tech media release on climbing and falling ant paper published in PNAS, May 2013
- GT produced video describing ant project
- BBC News
- BBC News
- Discovery magazine
- LA Times
- Bio360 (in Chinese)
- French Tribune
- Science Daily
- Trends soul
- Popular mechanics
- iScience times
- Wired UK
- NBC News Science
- Business insider
- Inkfish (blog)
- Northern voices online
- Robotics tomorrow
- A to Z robotics
- BioNews Texas
- PNAS First Look Blog
- National Academy of Engineering and WTOP (Washington, DC) interview (audio)
- NSF Science 360
- A blog writeup from our research on Fire-ant tunnel construction presented at the 2013 APS March meeting is featured on the Scientific American website here.
- I have been awarded a James S. McDonnell post-doctoral research fellowship for 2013-2015! I will be joining Rob Wood & Stacey Combes at Harvard to work on biological and robotic flapping wing flight. Announcement here.
- A recent article in Physics Today highlights our geometric cohesion work. Link is here and a pdf copy of the article can be downloaded here.
- Dynamics of fire ant tunnel construction accepted to Interface. More information and pictures can be found here.
- Entangled granular media has been chosen as an editors suggestion, featured for a synopsis on the physics.aps.org website, and is the cover of PRL this week! See here for Physics world and Science press coverage.
- Recent paper Entangled granular media accepted to PRL. arXiv version here.
- Recipient of the Georgia Tech IMPACT scholarship for contributions to the Georgia Tech community through undergraduate mentorship.
- Selected by NSF and the Lindau committee to attend the 2012 Lindau Nobel Laureate meeting focused on Physics this summer.
- Recipient of the 2012 Amelio Award from the School of Physics for "Excellence in Research by a Graduate Student."
- Nominated for the Georgia Tech CETL teaching assistant award. Picture from awards ceremony here.
- Recent paper Drag induced lift in granular media, selected as 2011 SAIC paper competition finalist. Picture here and article here.
- Presenting a hot topics talk on nest construction by fire ants at the Fluctuations and response in active materials conference in Leiden, NL. June 2011.
- Drag induced lift in granular media published in PRL here. Featured on physics central here. Highlighted as a synopsis on the APS physics website here.
- Selected as a finalist for the Group on Statistical & Nonlinear Physics student speaker award (link).
- Force and flow transition in plowed granular media featured in Physics update section of Physics today. See here.
- Recent paper Force and flow transition in plowed granular media on the cover of PRL. Supplementary info here.
- Attended as a teaching assistant the hands on complex systems school in Cameroon, Africa. information can be found here.
- Selected as one of three winners in the GTRIC poster competition. $5000 prize fellowship. Picture here.
- Attended as a teaching assistant the hands on complex systems school in Sao Paolo, Brazil. information can be found here.